Wintery View at Hutchins Marsh

Wintery View at Hutchins Marsh
Wintery view on one of our on-island science trips.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My First Blog Ever

Hi Everyone,

Welcome to my blog. Since I have a special interest in content area literacy, especially science, I hope this blog becomes a forum for sharing tried and true, along with innovative, practices for embedding literacy instruction in the content areas.

The first literacy strategies I would like to introduce you to are my experiences with a class blog and the "Daily Scrivener." This past summer I was introduced to blogging through a graduate class, Literacy through the Content Areas, taught by Maureen Montgomery. Maureen set up a class blog using Edublogs.org and required all students to blog on a regular basis. We were also required to take a turn as the "Daily Scrivener." The Daily Scrivener saw us working in small groups to record not only the learning taking place in class, but also the social/cultural aspects of the class. These snapshots into our course provide a location for posting resources, comments, class activities and notes for further reference. By the end of the semester everyone in the course, including those with little interest and knowledge of computers, valued the information found on our class blog. The following is the Daily Scrivener posting which I participated in composing

3 comments:

  1. How do you like Blogger as compared to Edublog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Literacy across content areas is justifiably a super-hot topic these days. I look forward to following your contributions to this area of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Island teaching-sounds so romantic, is it? I visited Vinal Haven last spring and observed one of my seminar students and loved it there!

    ReplyDelete